Moving Day

Before we could move in our things from storage, we had to fix up the drive way.  Over the course of construction, the builders made a mess of it and the rains made it worse. They mixed the concrete in front of the carport and the excess material made the drive way at least a foot higher. Of course, they didn’t want to clean it up. So, we had to hire a backhoe to come in and do the work. It was amazing how the back hoe guy leveled everything. He made it look so easy. He dug up all sorts of construction debris that we couldn’t even see. Fortunately, the builder took care of disposing most of it.


A few days before our stuff was going to be delivered, we drove to San Isidro to supervise the transfer from the storage area to a big moving truck.  All of that went well.  Everything was there.


Then, on moving day, the big truck arrived at the bottom of our hill bright and early at 7:15 a.m. Eddie met them there to supervise the off loading onto a smaller 4 x4 vehicle to get everything up our steep hill.  I was at the house checking off the boxes as they arrived. The movers earned every penny of their fee.  It took all day and they must have made 100 trips up our two staircases. Good thing most of the moving guys were young!


The craziness began when our kitchen cabinet maker decided to come by unannounced to install the kitchen island and microwave cabinet. In addition, our furniture guy came, too!  He brought our bedroom furniture and installed our closet on site. There was wood dust everywhere while the movers were bringing in all our stuff!


As it turned out, even though it was hectic, we were so glad to have a bed to sleep on, a place to put our clothes, a make shift kitchen using the cardboard of the refrigerator box on top of the island and having a place to put the microwave.



However, the builders had gone AWOL…so no running water inside the house . We had to use a make shift sink with a tub and shower in the outdoor shower.  In addition, the electric wasn’t totally operational, either.  We only had one outlet that was directly hooked up to the breaker box. At least the builder had completed the septic system, so Eddie got our master bath toilet hooked up.  (Good thing Eddie is a handy guy or we would have been in bad shape.) But, did I mention that we have great Internet?  It took Eddie several months to get that arranged and thanks to some help from our neighbors, the Kalon Surf Hotel, it happened!  We discovered that there are many things we can do without for a time, but Internet is not one of them!!!

P.S. Moving Day was on Monday, February 15, 2016.  A month has gone by and there is still a lot of work to do. Every day we make a little more progress. We’re hoping to get the granite counter tops installed tomorrow…wish us luck as this is the third time he has rescheduled!

3 thoughts on “Moving Day

  1. I was just thinking about you and this popped up! The closet looks pretty. It looks like you have so many boxes!! good job!

  2. All your hard work and perseverance are finally bringing you to the finish line. It all looks great! Congratulations.

  3. Great to see that you moved (are moving..) in! Figured that you were either super busy or catastrophe had struck, or both! Congratulations and hope all continues to go well.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s